Monday, April 26, 2010

Don't mess with me God!

Have you ever watched a movie starring Matt Damon and Robin Williams called “Good Will Hunting” In this movie Matt Damon plays “Will” a Troubled man from the streets that also happens to be a Genius. His brilliance has been overlooked by everyone except his closest friends until one day he decides to show off and answer a math problem that has taken some of the greatest minds in the world years to answer. A professor decides to bring him under his wing and show off Will as the Genius that he discovered. Before he can help Will however he needs to get him serious psychiatric help. They go through therapist after therapist Will running each of them off until he meets Williams character “Sean”. After a rough beginning they become friends and Sean helps him work through many of his issues. However he is still a train wreck pushing everyone away that wants to get close until one day Sean gets to the heart of the issue. He pulls out medical records and photo’s of Will all beaten and bruised. They go into a discussion of what happened and how his dad was an alcoholic. He would come home drunk need something to hit and Will would be the target. Here is where the scene gets good Sean looks at Will and says

Sean: It’s not your fault.
Will: I know
Sean: It’s not your fault
Will: I know
Sean: It’s not your fault
Will: I KNOW
Sean: It’s not your fault
Will: Don’t mess with me Sean not you
Sean: It’s not your fault
Will: (Pushes Sean) Don’t mess with me
Sean: It’s not your fault
Will: (Crying) Sean: (Pulls him into a hug)

That was the beginning of the TRUE healing process for Will. Even though he knew in his head that “It wasn’t his fault” he needed someone to drive it home for him. He needed that understanding to sink deep into his soul before he could move on with his life. Until that time happened he would live a life far far less than he was created for. He would not be able to believe that he was capable of being loved.

Friends, I fear that this is where many if not most of us stand. You see when we were born we were steeped in sin. We didn’t stand a chance we were born in a sinful world surrounded by sin raised by sinful parents, had sinful role models, and it is a part of our very instinct to pursue self before anything else (Romans 3: 9 – 20) I think because of this we have a very hard time believing that GOD the creator of the universe could possibly love us. My life has been out of control and Satan beating me up since the day of my birth. God knows what we are against. He isn’t holding that against us. Of course he doesn’t want us to stay there either. That’s why he sent his son. When we read through Gods word we see one message constantly coming at us. A message that we can say “I know” but one that our actions clearly show we don’t completely believe. In Good will Hunting that message was “It’s not your fault” which I do think would play clearly here as well but there’s another message God wants us to know that’s more important.

God: I love you
You: I know
God: I love you
You: I know
God: I love YOU
You: Don’t mess with me God not you
God: I LOVE YOU!
You: Don’t mess with me you couldn’t possibly love me
God: I LOVE YOU!
You: (Crying) Why
God: I LOVE YOU!
You: (A puddle on the floor crying unable to respond)
God: (Wrapping his arms around you and whispers in your ear) I LOVE YOU
You: I KNOW

If we can learn to truly embrace this our lives would be completely different. No more self destructing. God would turn our world “UPSIDE DOWN”

1 comment: