Monday, March 15, 2010

Freely Give?

I have been thinking about today’s topic for quite some time. Actually a friend of mine and I have been chatting about it pretty much since my arrival in Houston 2.5 months ago. It’s become hard for me to let go of this one even though it fits with a conviction God gave me for the Upside Down Group months ago. My friend has had this conviction for awhile but since we’ve begun chatting it has grown ten fold in him. I want to be very careful as we dive into this one and today I’ll just be scratching the surface of it. It would be very easy to fall into legalism and we must remember in all things it boils down to a matter of the heart. But there is also the message it spreads and more so the hindrance of learning that makes this topic particularly dangerous. ENOUGH OF THE SET UP GET ON WITH IT LARRY! Ok, lets first dive into it by looking at scripture. Then I’ll give you my thoughts.

Matthew 10:7-10 (New King James Version)

7 And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead,[a] cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. 9 Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts, 10 nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food.

John 2:13-19 (New King James Version)


13 Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers doing business. 15 When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the changers’ money and overturned the tables. 16 And He said to those who sold doves, “Take these things away! Do not make My Father’s house a house of merchandise!” 17 Then His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for Your house has eaten[a] Me up.”[b]
18 So the Jews answered and said to Him, “What sign do You show to us, since You do these things?”
19 Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

John 13:14-15 (New King James Version)

14 If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.

John 13:34-35 (New King James Version)

34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

John 15:12-14 (New King James Version)

12 This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. 14 You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.

I’m not going to talk too much today. Just point out what I see then ask you your opinion. In Matthew 10 Jesus gives his disciples power then sends them out and tells them FREELY you have received FREELY Give. They went out with nothing other than clothes on their backs and power from God. They were told to give out freely not Heal for a fee, preach for a fee. In John 2 Jesus goes into the temple sees them selling in the courtyard gets upset makes a whip drives the people out and gently turns the tables upside down (More like throws everything around) (The following is a paraphrase from the book Fresh Wind Fresh Fire) They could have argued they were offering a service. They needed a sacrifice and couldn’t carry theirs all the way from where they lived. The problem is they were profiting exorbitantly from the service. John 13: 14-15 says follow my example “He served them” John 13: 34-35 He says Love as I have loved you. John 15 he says the same thing and ads No greater Love than to Lay your life down for your friends.

Looking at all of this my question is. Are we profiting from the Gospel when we should be freely sharing? God gave me a revelation let me write a book sell it, God gave me the gift of healing I’ll do it but charge an entry fee to the crusade. Are our “Christian Bookstores” any different than the money changers in the temple? How many people don’t have access to some incredible insights into scripture or into how to walk after God because they can’t afford the 20 to 50 dollar book? When we think of this the very fact that you have to “Buy” a bible is pretty disturbing.

My big argument has been “But a worker is worth his wages” and “But you have to cover your expenses” The worker is worth his wages that’s why I go back to What’s your heart saying? Why are you writing the book? I’m not going to try and find a formula to determine when someone has made too much or too little, when it’s good and when it’s bad that’s between them and God. But I am very very concerned when I see a ministry that someone desperately needs yet they can’t afford it. Here is a great example of what I’m talking about. (Please don’t think I’m knocking this ministry I think it’s doing a wonderful thing.) Have you ever noticed that nearly every time you go to a Christian Concert anymore “World Vision” is a sponsor. The artist takes some time out of his or her show to chat about what World Vision is doing and to encourage you to sponsor a child. Did you know that World Vision gives (I can’t remember how much) the Artist money according to the number of Children sponsored (Which is better than just paying the artist a blanket fee for sponsorship. It encourages them to push it harder.) Please hear me I’m not knocking specific Artists some need that sponsorship to survive as an artist. When an Artist is doing well and they know the tour is paid for along with a nice little profit. Aren’t they themselves taking money from the starving kids? God tells us to Love our neighbor as we love ourselves and to lay down our lives for a brother. If you were starving would you want someone to say I raised 1,000 to help you but I’m going to keep 100 of it for myself. If you were dieing would you want someone to say I have the cure but need to make a living so I’ll sell it to you. You can’t afford it I’m so sorry. Christ spoke to over 5,000 people in I assume all states of wealth then proceeded to feed them all for free. Whoops never mind I’m wrong he paid WITH HIS LIFE!

Until recently I’ve never even thought about this it’s the way the economy works. I’ll lay odds most haven’t. We wonder why we don’t see the Spirit work as much today. I wonder how much we would see him work if we said “God gave this for me to share freely I’ll trust him to provide.”

Ok, I spoke more than planned. That tangent thing kicks in and I forget how to shut up. Anyway, I want to hear your thoughts on the subject. How do we adjust even if we aren’t acting as a “Money Changer”? Here’s one thing I do. I finish reading a book I give it away. What are some of your idea’s. This goes far beyond selling “Freely give” what has God given you? How can you give of those blessings?

God bless all, Hope you have a wonderful week turned “Upsidedown”!

No comments:

Post a Comment