Monday, March 22, 2010

Southern Hospitality!

So, I spent Saturday night in Charleston SC. Even though I desperately wanted to I fought off the urge to go dancing (Don’t know how to do the Charleston anyway). But what I didn’t fight off was the desire to go to church Sunday Morning. I stumbled on a good ole Southern Baptist church. Lets remember tradition dies hard in the South. So I pull up and see all these people walking in wearing suits and dresses. I haven’t seen that in awhile and I knew I was in for a good old fashioned Baptist worship service complete with the hymnals. Believe it or not I was kinda looking forward to it. It’s been a long long time since I’ve been in a “Traditional Service”. I’m not going to spend any time talking about the actual service or the pluses and minuses of the style but what I want to talk about is what I observed before and after the service. I walk in about 15 to 20 minutes early and go find a seat. I feel slightly out of place since in my riding gear but I do feel a little better as the younger crowd begins to filter in (They are at least in slacks and a Button Down shirt instead of a suit.) People are all smiling and chatting with each other looking very happy to be there. Then I see one older gentleman walking up and down the aisle shaking everyone’s hand. Now I see another doing the same thing. The pastor is doing the same but slumbering a bit longer chatting with the people. A middle aged lady walks up to me (Mr. way out of place) and begins chatting. Then I see this stereotypical science teacher. Slacks and a sport coat (Tweed), White hair, bald up top long in the back, Handlebar mustache that blends into his mainly white Beard trimmed along the jaw line but very full beard in the middle (Just felt like detailing his look) Doing the same as the first men I saw but instead of just walking the aisle he is going to the middle of the pews as well literally walking from group to group shaking hands and laughing with each of them. I can say I have never seen such an active group. People were going out of their way to chat with each other not just stand and chat with a close friend. Growing up my church may have been like that. I know they were friendly and like family. Generation after generation grew up there so it was easier to “Be Friendly”. After church pretty much anyone that walked by me said hello and shook my hand. The lady that had spoken with me earlier introduced me to her husband and then invited me to their house for lunch (This happened once before when I was in college at another Baptist church). I walked into the church that morning feeling out of place but left feeling very welcomed. Honestly during the service I was bored, I spaced off during the choir can’t believe it but didn’t recognize the hymns and the sermon gave no new revelations. It was a solid salvation message complete with alter call. Now I’m not picking on the service. It is exactly what some need just not what I typically look for but if I were in Charleston again I would go back in a heartbeat. If I moved to Charleston I would check it out again. Why? Because of the display of love I saw. They made an underdressed stranger feel perfectly at home. I’ve had less people talk to me at my home church and it’s a pretty friendly church. Obviously I know nothing about these people. Maybe they all hop in their cars and begin to fight with each other. Maybe there is a problem with gossip I have no idea but what I do know is for the hour and fifteen minutes I was there (Somehow the pastor found mercy for 15 minutes :-.) ) I felt welcomed. I’ve been traveling for six months now going to churches every Sunday. Some I knew others not, some were proud of their openness to strangers they went so far as to brag about it. What’s ironic is those are the places I felt most unwelcome. Anytime I’ve traveled over the last few years I’ve tried to find a church to attend on Sunday the best I’ve ever gotten was people saying hi during the “Greeting time” and maybe one or two before or after the service.

If you haven’t already guessed it I am about to present a challenge to everyone reading this. “Grab hold of some good Ole’ Southern Hospitality!” Do you want to see guests return to your church? Do you want to see others come to know Christ? Do you want others to feel comfortable opening up to you? Then smile and shake a hand! It really is that simple. People want to feel welcomed and they want to feel loved give it to them and they’ll keep coming back. I was blown away as I watched a half dozen people befriend the majority. Can you imagine what would happen if someone walked into your church and they saw the majority doing it? Not to mention you may meet someone that’s been at the church for years. If you’re already doing this let me present one more challenge. Every time you meet someone new “Invite them to Lunch” You never know this one thing may turn your life and the life of your church “Upside Down”

No comments:

Post a Comment