Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A new shift to our assignments!

As most of you know the Upside Down group at the core is about caring for others. It's about recognizing that in our fallen state we are selfish individuals who care more about working toward our own good than taking the time to help others. Despite living in this fallen state we choose to recognize that this is not the plan our creator has for us. He created us to focus on him and his creation to take care of his creation. With that in mind we have chosen to take the challenge and live that life. It is a process. We try to teach ourselves how to best live in this way. It's challenging, the only thing we know for sure is the best way to live this way successfully is to focus on our God and do what he tells us to do. Too many of us have lived this scenario backwards and as a result we have begun to burn out. We do do do do and then look back to see how happy God is with us then we do some more. But this isn't what God ever intended and what's funny is WE KNOW THIS ISN'T WHAT HE INTENDED! But we for some reason do it this way anyway. I remember about a year ago I was asked a question. It caused me to try and create a picture in my mind of what my life in God was like. I pictured God on his throne and me in front of it looking away from him at the world and doing what I could to help them. Painting the picture in my mind I was finally able to see what I was doing and I didn't like the picture. I knew it was not the picture God wanted. So I asked God "Help me to see the picture that you would want. Suddenly there was a slight shift. You see God was still there on his throne, the world was still out there and I was still in the picture. So it had all the same elements but the difference was my location. I was sitting on my fathers lap. Not only was I sitting on his lap but my head was resting on his chest. Do you remember doing that as a little kid on your parents lap? There was no place safer and no position more comfortable. After sitting like that for a little while I saw God reach out his hand and point. I sat up looked and saw who he was pointing at then I looked back at him and God gave me a little nod as if to say yep I want you to go help them. So I got up and went. That picture has become a goal for my life and my passion for the upside down group. Can you imagine that? An army of kids sitting in daddy's lap enjoying his presence and waiting for him to point.

Can we learn to enjoy our time in daddy's lap? Can we learn to willingly get up when he calls us to go? When he tells us it's time to stop and rest in him again will we learn to listen? I've found myself on all sides. Working tirelessly when he is telling me to rest, Refusing to get off his lap when he gives me an assignment, and resting in him waiting for the assignment. I know which is best and I know which gives me greater contentment. Yet I know even with this how easy it is to lose focus. This blog and these weekly assignments where created to serve one purpose they were created to help us as a community grow closer to our loving God and Savior and through that encourage us to effect our community and world through him. One thing I've noticed in passing out these assignment is that sometimes God will tell me to assign something the community as a whole needs to hear (Last week is a good example) But usually the assignments are a window into how god is working directly with me in my life and while these assignments are always a good thing to do they are not always what God is calling you to at the exact moment. Remember my goal, the dream of The Upside Down Group is to create an army of Gods children focused on and resting in him an army that is waiting for the call and jumps when they hear it (Sometimes he will call us to act as a group and others he will ask us to move individually.) That is why I'm giving you this window into my soul. Not because I think I have something you need to hear or because I'm this spiritual dynamo (Far from it) By watching others in process we learn and are encouraged to dive in as well. I would not be where I am today if it wasn't for some very dear friends that I've watched seek God and grow leaps and bounds. I've also watched them struggle, fall and God pick them up again. It has helped to truly understand and embrace Gods grace.

I didn't realize I was going here when I began to type but once again God somehow took control of my fingers. You are going to notice a slight shift in these assignments once again. On weeks that I think God has given an assignment specifically for each of us. I will say "This is an assignment for the group" other weeks you will hear where God has been working in me. I will still give an assignment and I challenge you to do it. It will help you to grow. But you know where God has you and if the assignment is to act but God has you in a place of rest do not let satan or anyone else guilt you into it. The flip is true as well if God says rest and we say act then rest. God always carries the trump card!

One other thing you will see. In about 6 weeks the look and feel of this blog will most likely change dramatically. I will try to still update once a week but there may be times when the updates span two or three weeks the suddenly you will see four or five updates back to back. Hopefully we will have a video option by then as well (Probably just on You Tube) You see I am going on a little trek. The last week in Sept (Unless God throws the trump card) I am planning on grabbing a backpack, hopping on my motorcycle and heading to the NW. Washington to be exact. I will spend a month in the mountains Just God and I for the purpose of seeking him sitting in his lap and checking to see where he is going to point. After our month in the Mtns we will hop back on the bike and work the coastline. No set schedule or planned stops other than Bethel church in Redding CA for a time. But the goal will remain the same spend the time God and I looking at his creation and watching to see where he points. Once the weather turns and spring is in the air my plan is to begin my journey back this way and begin steering The Upside Down Group in the proper direction. While this is a personal journey I believe there will be lessons in it for all of us so this will remain a public blog.

I ask for your prayers in this journey that God would protect me from harm, keep me and my bike healthy, and provide financially. I do plan on finding work here and there as well as I run out of money.

This leads me to our assignment for the week. This week I would like to challenge you to simply pray. Each day of the week go to God and ask him who you should pray for and ask him how he wants you to pray. Then pray! It's that simple. Set aside a prayer time for just that. Praying for others.

Alright my friends thank you for sticking with me on this incredibly long post and I promise I will try to not be so long winded from here on out (No guarantees though). Have a great week and as always Lets live it Upside Down!

No comments:

Post a Comment