Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Walking and Praying (Easier than chewing gum)

Welcome Gang,

Did we have a good experience listening and praying last week? I know it can be a difficult thing to do at first “sit back listen to God and pray what he tells us to.” Really it’s counter intuitive. But then again I honestly can’t think of much about having a living breathing relationship with God that isn’t (At first). But the great thing about God is the more we embrace this “Upside Down Lifestyle” the more natural it seems to become. Don’t get me wrong there to a certain degree will always be that struggle but the more we embrace God and his lifestyle the less that pull will become.

This week I want to challenge you to do one of two things. If you are still struggling with learning to pray as you hear God leading then stick with it. Each day sit down and invite the Holy Spirit to guide you in your prayers. Then just sit and listen don’t speak until you hear God tell you what to say. “But how will I know it’s him and not me?” You will know. Even if you don’t know for sure go ahead and pray it. As long as it doesn’t go against God feel free. But I think God can speak in such a way to make it clear. For those of you that are comfortable with listening prayer lets go ahead and ad some footsteps to it. Begin walking down the street and say the same thing. Holy Spirit Guide me on where to go and what you want me to pray as we walk. He might take you on a walk around the neighborhood and have you pray for your neighbors. But be open to him taking you right up to someone. The other day I went on a walk and began praying in this way. At first I found myself praying for friends and family specific needs that I knew they had. I also found myself praying for friends I haven’t thought about in years and praying for them in ways that I’ve never heard them express need for. Then I felt God tell me to turn left I knew where he was taking me. At the end of the block there is a man that lives in a tent in front of his house that has fallen into disrepair. I’ve waved at him from a distance and even said hello but that is all. I’ve always felt for him but never known what to do never been able to begin a conversation probably because of my own discomfort. So as I walked down the street toward his tent I thought “this will be the same” he may be home and I’ll wave but that is all. It wasn’t! I waved he waved back Then I don’t know if it was he or I who said something else but I found myself walking up to the tent he unzipped the door and we chatted for about a half hr. Was there a prayer or a big miracle? No prayer but a miracle I think so. I began a conversation with a man I’ve been wanting to chat with for very near a year. I kept looking for that prayer opportunity but never really heard God say go for it. He just wanted us to chat. It’s odd you would think that prayer would be the natural. I can think of plenty of things to pray about and I will pray for those things but God was just calling us to chat. One other time God led me to a homeless man that I chatted with and gave him some work to do at my house (Even invited him to church) More often though God simply points out things on my walk that I wouldn’t have thought to pray for, or he reminds me of friends from the past, or the struggles of current friends. Sometimes it’s not struggles he leads me to pray for but thanking him for blessing friends or myself or asking for blessing for friends, family or myself. I tell you all of this just so you can know what to expect as you go on your walk (Anything) God could ask you to do or pray anything just be open to it. He may ask you to hop in your car and drive across town or to stand in one place as he reveals himself to you.

There ya go. Your assignment for the week “Go out and pray as God leads you to pray” It will be fun I promise.

Have a great week and as always. “Let’s live it Upside Down!”

Here’s a little heads up for ya. Next week your assignment will be to go on a “Treasure hunt.” Some of you know what that is others will soon learn. Here’s a hint “It follows perfectly with what we are talking about.” I’ll send out a note in the next day or two asking you to set aside a certain day. This one is a group activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment