Monday, June 1, 2009

Commitment

It's a new week thus time for a new assignment. Have you set a date for your "Thank you party" yet. Please don't let this summer go by without it it is a fun and powerful way to let others know the impact they have had on your life.

Typically each week when planning our assignments I try to look at what is happening around me. Look and see how others interact with each other, listen to people about things they have seen that have meant something them, look at the time of year, etc... I also try to make it something that we can have fun with. After all it's easier to do anything when the word "Fun" is attached right! This week we are going to step away from the model just a little bit. Our assignment will still be fun just not in the beginning. In the beginning it will be tough. Some may even choose to not participate because we have to step way out of our comfort zone. If you have what it takes to succeed in completing the task you will find the end exceptionally rewarding. And it will bring a smile to your face that lasts much longer than a couple minutes. 

Lately I have begun to notice a disturbing pattern. I've watched people break commitments at the last minute so they can participate in another that seems like more fun. Watching this happen I have been forced to look back on my own life and have found myself being guilty of the same thing. Unfortunately one of the unintended side effects of this is hurt feelings at the other end. Quite often it can be more than just hurt feelings. Another effect is that it becomes difficult for us to speak with the person we left standing because we know we have hurt them. This of course puts a gulf between the two and the already fragile friendship becomes permanently damaged. 

For those of you reading this that can sit back and say "This isn't me" your assignment is very easy. I want you to do two things.
1. Continue to keep your commitments!
2. Encourage others to keep theirs.

For those of us that have recently done this we have two tasks as well.
1. Call up the person or persons we cancelled on and apologize. 
2. Encourage others to keep their commitments.

Please, please, please don't take this lightly. Please don't push it aside because it's outside the comfort zone. Please do look at life and friendship as it truly is a "Jewell" a "Gift from God" anyone would be a fool to toss either of these away.

Thanks everyone have a great week and of course lets "Live it upside down"


"I will most likely be blogging a bit more this week so feel free to check back again before next week."

2 comments:

  1. I really like this blog. I have noticed that I have given up on my commitments in the past as well. Mostly because I was afraid I would fail or get hurt, but over time I have realized that not only have I let down the person that needed me, but I have let down myself and God as well. God has always believed in me even when I couldn't believe in myself and has always been there for me when no one else has.

    It is interesting that this blog should appear today. Over the weekend I really wanted to quit a couple of things that are going to take sometime to finish, and by that I mean at least a year at most. Thanks for the reminder of the rewards to come by finishing my commitments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the feedback. For some reason this was a tough one to write and I came very close to hitting delete instead of publish.

    I'm glad this could be an encouragement for you.

    ReplyDelete