Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Angels Landing

As I believe most of you know I have been in Zion National Park the last few days. Let me tell you this park is appropriately named. It’s beauty is spectacular and I will be posting some photo’s on my Facebook account soon. Yesterday I went on a hike to a destination known as “Angels Landing” This was not a hike for just anyone. It’s only 2.5 miles one way but it has an elevation gain of just under 1500 feet. Parts of the climb are steep but paved so a steady pace will do ya. Most anyone can make this part of the climb because you can stop and rest as often as you like. (I am proud to say I only stopped once and no one ever passed me.) That part of the hike is just under 2 miles. After this part of the climb is a short 1/8th mile climb on some rocks where you have to think about your steps and even use your arms a tad bit to climb. I would say that at least half the people stopped at this point and wouldn’t continue on. Some because of health or just plain inability to accomplish this type of climbing and the other half because of fear. I went on this stretch reached the top sat down and enjoyed the view thinking I had completed the hike. After a minute of sitting and chatting with a couple beside me we notice a group of kids heading back and wondered where they came from. We walked around the ledge and saw in front of us another peak. It looked like a giant pile of rocks that almost went straight up meanwhile another couple passes us heading that way. We had basically another ½ mile to go and it was close to straight up. I let out this audible “ohh wow” and moved forward with a bit of excitement about the task at hand. The other four let out the same “ohh wow” and followed it with a “No way” Since they had made it this far it was clear they had the ability but fear was stopping them. They asked “Are you really going to do this?” I made it this far I’m not going to stop now. After I had gone a ways they yelled “turn and wave we want a photo” So I did and I yelled back “It’s not as hard as it looks the footing is solid come on” They wouldn’t. I move on and they yell for another photo. After I’m about half way up the climb is soo cool I let out another Wow! Two guys a little ahead of me look down and yell It’s soo worth it come on. They assumed I was about to turn. Huh uh I’m going all the way. You see what’s happening? I love what’s going on and try to encourage others to come along. The two ahead of me love it so much they try to encourage me. I catch up with them we chat for a moment then carry on to the top. Once we reach the top we just sit there and enjoy the view. We made it! We were a part of the minority the climb was challenging but oh so much fun and the view Incredible. We take some photo’s chat awhile and then turn to head down.

I could have stopped where the others did and if I didn’t see the kids coming by never would have known the difference. But they did and I did. I could have chosen to not take the challenge and still had a great view and a great time. Everyone that had made it that far was smiling. You knew they meant it when they said “I’m great” they truly felt alive. They had even forgotten how hard the climb was up till that point because the reward was so great. But I would have always known I chickened out. I would have always wondered what it was like on top of “Angels Landing” I would have been the one taking pictures of some guy doing what I wish I had the courage to do. This isn’t a “Go for it” speech. I’m not going to say push your fears and the reward will be great. Ok maybe I will right now but that’s not the point. As I was climbing that second part I realized this is what our spiritual life is like. We accept Christ and begin the climb up. At first the climb isn’t too difficult and when the incline seems to increase our excitement of the new adventure can usually carry us through. Then we reach a landing a place where we can rest (A Mountain Top experience) We know we’re not there yet we see others pass us by but we need to rest we need to experience the joys of the view. Nothing wrong with that experience what God has been doing and live in that glory. Then a time comes when God calls us to begin the journey again. Some of us drop off. We are happy right here we are tired of the work the challenge so we stay. Others begin the climb again suddenly they reach what they think are the mountain top they stop and enjoy the moment (Great bask in God for awhile) Then they notice others moving on. They are surprised to see another mountain top. Some look and say “Ohh wow” and begin the climb others are fine where they are. You see where I’m going. I’m not going to sit here and say get off your butt and begin the climb again. I know it can be a challenge. I know it can be scary. What I am going to say is just what the guys ahead of me said. “It’s so worth it!” Begin the climb you’ll find it’s not really as hard as you thought it would be it will be challenging and “I assume” that each new stage will be more of a challenge than the last. But the last stage prepared you for the current. Don’t sit back and take photo’s of that one person taking the climb ahead of you and silently wish you could be him. You can be! God has prepared you for the climb. He has equipped you for the climb! And if there is anything he forgot to give you (Ha!) He will be right next to you to hand it to you at the moment you need it. Come on! What do ya say? Lets climb together! It’s always more fun with a partner anyway. Oh and if you are one of those that happen to think you’ve made it. You’re at the top. I have just one thing to say. “Look Up” and begin the climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment