Sunday, October 11, 2009

Taking a photo!

I hit Colorado a few days back and began to see these incredible views. Now that I am in Utah the amazement hasn’t lessened. God has created some incredibly beautiful country for us to appreciate. Now I’m pretty new at taking photo’s so I’ll admit I’m probably not the best at trying to figure out what to capture when in order to take the best photo. But I’ve been struggling with this. How do I capture in a single photo the incredible beauty that I’m looking at? Especially when it’s a vast openness that is taking my breath away. I don’t care how good the camera is or how experienced the photographer it just isn’t possible to capture the fullness of what you are experiencing. For one second lets imagine that it is possible (After all I have taken a few of what “I” consider to be breathtaking photo’s.) I am now in Moab Utah gorgeous country. Who knew the desert could be so beautiful. It is not possible to capture all of Moab Utah in one photo or even all of Arches National Park, or even all of the smallest hike in Arches. It’s not supposed to be possible. I think God created this incredible universe for us to encounter bit by bit, piece by piece. God also gives us clues to who he is in his creation. As I’ve been hiking the last few days I’ve been on top of mountains and seen miles upon miles of Gods creation all at once and been blown away by the sheer beauty of it all. That view made me want to hit the trails all the more so I could experience what I was seeing. But it wasn’t until I hit the trails and experienced what I had seen bit by bit that I truly appreciated the over all scenery. Before the hike all I knew was “It is beautiful” during the hike I saw the details. I noticed dried up river beds, pine tree’s sitting next to tumbleweed, and a sandy trail that ended in solid rock. I saw the stone had multiple colors in it, Gecko’s running at my feet and even an Eagle flying over head with a snake in it’s grasp. I could go on but you get the point. These hikes almost always had a point where you were “On Top” It was only then after being in the thick of it that I could begin to appreciate the details of the larger picture. Now I can notice the green scenery, I see the outlines of the creek beds, I notice the birds flying in front of me. So I can’t see every detail but I know it’s there and I can imagine the parts I can’t see (Because I know it’s there.) I would say that at one point in all of our lives we saw a big God we saw a God that was incredible, awe inspiring, overwhelming, and maybe even a little bit scary. It’s what drew us to him in the first place. How many of us have taking the hike? How many of us have taken the time to dive into God and begin learning the details that go with him. I would guess that many of us began the trip but soon grew overwhelmed and stopped preferring to view him from a distance. (The topic of my next post) Let me encourage you “Take the journey” dive into God learn the details of who he is. I could probably spend years in Arches National Park and never quite catch all the details but I will catch more and more and appreciate them more than “It’s a fun place to go 4 wheeling” (Which is what most here do) Likewise we can dive into God more and more everyday for the rest of our lives and we will never grasp the fullness of who he is. But we will appreciate the details of who he is that much more. I don’t know about you but I don’t want to just go 4 wheeling with God (Throw up the emergency prayers and sing a few songs on Sunday) That’s all well and good but I want to know those hidden details that draw the world to him. I want to know him intimately! Who wants to go hiking?

No comments:

Post a Comment