Sunday, October 11, 2009

Observations from a trail!

I have spent the last two days hiking inside Arches National Park and let me tell you it is beautiful country. Who knew a desert could be so beautiful! I think I have ultimately hit every trail that you are allowed to go on in the park without receiving a special permit. Here is what I noticed. (You may think this is obvious but it’s still worth pointing out.) “The trails with the most people on them were the easiest trails.” Here’s another thing I noticed. “The trails with the most warnings attached to them were the one’s with the best experience.” Being a beginner in the world of hiking I naturally didn’t hit the hardest trail first. (I hit the second hardest) The trail I hit wasn’t dangerous by any stretch of the imagination and honestly most anyone could do it. The hardest part was a 480 foot climb that wasn’t gradual at all. But it wasn’t grab a rope and hold on for dear life either. I knew I could make the climb because I knew I could stop and rest if necessary. Time to brag a bit I had no need of stopping. Did I begin to breath heavy? You bet! But I knew I could push on and wanting to get back into shape I decided to not take it easy. I chose a steady pace and continued all the way to the top. The reward was another great view and the ability to get my picture taken under the most photographed rock/arch in the world (That right there should tell you it wasn’t too difficult of a climb). Day number one I hit every trail accept for two. One didn’t seem that exciting to me and the other was the hardest and longest one in the park. By then the day was almost over and I figured I wouldn’t see anything totally different on this trail than the others so I left. The next day I decided to go back after all I had no timeline for being anywhere and how fun would it be to say I hiked every trail in the park. So I go up to this trail read about it and see that there are two parts to the trail the easy hike but not for those afraid of heights and the primitive trail only recommended for experienced hikers. The primitive trail was an extra 2 mile loop added to the day. Needless to say If you ever see a warning that says “Not for those who are afraid of heights” Go on it! Can I say “Wow” the view was breathtaking and the whole time you are standing on a rock that is probably 100 yards long and 3 to 4 feet wide with no handrails. I decide to take the extra 2 mile loop on the primitive trail and find that it really is much easier than they make it sound yet I am all alone. I see one other group a father son team the whole time. Everyone else was afraid to take the hike. This time it was in the valley climbing stones walking up hill on a diagonal with no real base. Walking through timberland you didn’t know existed hopping small ponds it was a really cool hike. It gets me to thinking about my past. As an actor two of my favorite shows I’ve been a part of were shows I originally didn’t want to do. I saw them loved the show and then thought I hope I never have to do it. Next thing you know I’m being asked to do it. Not being one to say no I accept the part and see that I can do it after all. Were they a challenge? Definitely! But one’s worth taking. When I was a Technical Director I would often be presented with a set to build that had new challenges to it. I would have to learn a new skill in building or painting, etc… I would always look back at those projects with great pride because they forced me to stretch myself. I’m not saying these things to brag I think each and every one of us has these experiences and you know exactly what I’m talking about. So where are you going with this? I’m glad you asked. Why is it that we can take the challenge with one part of our lives but struggle with it in other parts? How many of you have heard God asking you to do something but the thought of doing it scares you too much? “Leave my job! But how will I get by?” “Talk to so and so about God! But I don’t know what to say.” “Give money to such and such but I need it to pay my bills” You get the point. I want to suggest to you that every time we come up with an excuse to not listen we rob ourselves of some great experiences. We rob ourselves of an experience with God. Too many of us are only willing to walk with God in our comfort zones and as a result we are living in an uncomfortable world. Do yourself and the world a favor take the difficult trail “The path less followed” Dive into God’s life with both feet you will never be bored and you will always have new story’s to tell. Remember what one man did some 2,000 plus years ago by saying yes to God and what his 12 disciples did after. It’s time to say yes. It’s time to live the life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment